Iran denies ‘compromise’ in nuclear deal talks | News from nuclear energy

0

The ball rests with the United States to restore the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal, Tehran reiterates.

Tehran, Iran – Iran’s foreign ministry has dismissed reports of the country’s willingness to “compromise” its stance in ongoing indirect negotiations with the United States to restore its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said late Saturday that Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, made no mention of compromise to Qatar’s Emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, when they met in Tehran earlier this month.

Khamenei told the Emir, “We have always said that the negotiations must bring results, not waste of time,” and “Americans know what they must do about it,” Khatibzadeh told semi-official news website Tasnim.

“It is clear from the context of the Chairman’s remarks that the ball is in the court of the US, which must make wise policy decisions in order to fulfill its obligations,” he said.

The comments come after Qatar’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani was quoted in the German newspaper Handelsblatt that the “Iranian leadership” had expressed a willingness to compromise with regard to “the Iranian nuclear dossier”.

Khatibzadeh suggested that a mistranslation of comments may have occurred.

Qatar’s Foreign Ministry said Sunday the minister had been misquoted regarding the “compromise” comments.

At a press conference in Germany on Friday, Sheikh Tamim expressed optimism that Iran and the USA could reach an agreement on the nuclear deal and reaffirmed Qatar’s willingness to help.

Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed Mohammad al-Ansari said on Saturday Doha was “very optimistic” about progress in nuclear talks to achieve “peace and stability in the Gulf region”.

“We hope that an agreement will be reached as soon as possible that satisfies all parties and guarantees Iran’s right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy,” al-Ansari said called.

Talks to restore the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), as the agreement is officially known, have stalled since March as the two sides failed to agree on a small but momentous number of issues, including a “terror ‘-Designation against Iran‘s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The United States unilaterally abandoned the agreement in 2018 and imposed tough sanctions.

European Union talks coordinator Enrique Mora visited Tehran earlier this month to facilitate the talks.

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian and EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell held a phone call earlier this week to update the talks.

“Important to get started,” Borrell tweeted after the call. “The longer we wait, the more difficult it will be to complete the negotiations.”

Share.

Comments are closed.