Family vacation in Turkey sees attempted child abduction | world | news


The incident is said to have taken place in the early hours of May 16 while an Irish family was on holiday in Turkey. Elaine and Phil from Dublin had flown away on holiday with their two children, aged 10 and 11.

Halfway through the trip, a week into the holiday “suddenly changed”.

The family had spent the day away from the hotel and when they returned they went to an outdoor bar for a late night drink.

Elaine and Phil met two English couples, one of whom they had spoken to the night before.

However, when they spoke to the two English fathers, “two men literally came out of nowhere”.

Speaking to RTÉ’s Liveline, Elaine said: “Tall, tall men, well over 1.80 metres. They fell in my face and yelled ‘shut up’.

“I said ‘excuse me?’ and they kept saying ‘shut up.’ At that point I walked over to Phil because they were aggressive.”

Elaine said her husband Phil went to the men to ask if there was a problem and that’s when “everything changed”.

She said: “The two men attacked Phil. It was absolutely horrific, the children were screaming.

CONTINUE READING: Brexit LIVE: ‘Not what we voted for’, states furious Farage

Dean, one of the parents Elaine and Phil have been in contact with, is the father of the two-year-old girl who is said to have almost been kidnapped.

Dean also spoke on Liveline and said while the two men initially attacked Phil, he heard screams from behind and saw a third man “walk up to my two-year-old daughter who was sitting on a chair, put a towel over her and pick her up.”

“I managed to get away a bit and heard the Turkish men screaming and they ran after me,” he said.

“I turned and ran around the corner and hid. Then I saw my eight-year-old son walking by crying his eyes out. So I grabbed him.”

Dean said that two German girls at the scene managed to snatch his daughter Evie away from the man and hide in a bush with her and Dean’s second son, five years old.

“I had never met her before. They told me they saw everything and someone tried to take my daughter so they took it alone and got my kids and hid them in a bush.”

Dean picked up his children and headed back into the room, thinking this would be the safest place.

When asked for information, the hotel denied the incident took place.

Turkish police have been asked for comment on the alleged incident.

A Garda spokesman told Dublin Live: “Gardaí received a report of an attack that took place outside of jurisdiction on 15 May 2022.

“This matter has now been referred to the An Garda Síochána section of Interpol for transmission to the appropriate authorities.”


Comments are closed.